Water Resources

In 2003-2004 Cape Town faces some particularly low average rainfalls, which caused the need for water restrictions. In 2007 they underwent a Berg Water Project in order to decrease the risk of water shortage in Cape Town. The Berg River dam was implemented successfully to augment the water supply of the  Western Cape region.

Cape Town currently gets 98.5% of it’s water supply from surface water, while the remaining 1.5% comes from ground water. The following are Cape Town’s ground water resources (however, only two are currently being exploited):

  • Albion Springs
  • Atlantis Aquifer
  • Cape Flats Aquifer
  • Newlands Aquifer

There are a large number of dams that are currently generating most of Cape Town’s water supply. The diagram below shows the storage levels of dams across South Africa, blue marking high storage and red marketing very low storage. (click to expand).

Dam-storage

Figure 1: Status of Surface Water Storage [Available From: http://www.capewatersolutions.co.za/2010/05/19/cape-town-dams-are-filling-up/]

Table Mountain is a major resource for rainfall water and is a source for many of the surrounding streams and rivers. These flows are very dependent on the season, as the winter months bring in much higher rainfall.

cloudsFigure 2: Clouds forming above Table Mountain [Available From: http://tablemountain.net/blog/entry/photo_essay_clouds_on_table_mountain_tablecloth_vanhunks_devil/]
 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s